Field Hockey News
Visit nyaatigers.org/2013fieldhockey for updates. All weather-related updates will be posted on the Field Hockey Updates Page. Please bookmark it and check it before you leave for practices or games. Information on planned scheduling for the upcoming season can be found on that page.
About the NYAA Field Hockey Program
We work with the high school team to put together a strong instructional curriculum that will serve as the basis for each practice. The curriculum will be based on a program the United States Field Hockey Association recommends for younger players. The high school players are very excited about the opportunity to instruct your child and are developing additional fun activities to make this a memorable experience for all involved.
The entire program will offer three levels of training for the upcoming season.
- Youth Division: 1st and 2nd grade* Please see important details about this division below.
- Junior Division: 3rd and 4th grades
- Senior Division: 5th and 6th grades
Note: Girls entering 7th grade as of 9/13 can try out for the Northwestern Lehigh Middle School Field Hockey Team.
The following information is designed to make sure that your child is ready for the upcoming field hockey season. NYAA field hockey will provide most of the items your child will need for the upcoming season. The remaining items you will either need to purchase or borrow from someone.
Each player must have the following items before they can practice:
- Field hockey stick: NYAA will be providing sticks for all girls in the program. The stick will be for your daughter to use during the season. We will hand out the sticks at the first practice, and it must be returned after the last game. For the majority of you, it is your child’s first time playing field hockey so it's recommended that you have her use the NYAA stick for the season and purchase one later if she enjoyed the sport. If you have your own stick, be sure to bring it to the first practice.
- Mouth guard: NYAA will provide one mouth guard for your child. This item will be handed out the first night of practice. There will be no charge for this item. You may provide your own mouth guard, but no player will be permitted to play without one. Replacement mouth guards will be available for a small fee.
- Field hockey ball: NYAA will provide each child with their own field hockey ball. This will be handed out at the first practice. Be sure to write your name on the ball with permanent marker. Be sure to bring this ball to all practices and games.
- Shin guards: This item will be entirely your responsibility. Make sure that the shin guards fit properly and are of adequate quality. Sticks 'n Flicks, a specialty field hockey store in Macungie, will have a Brine youth pull on shin guard for around $12.50. This shin guard will be available in a youth and an adult size. The youth size fits players 4’6” or shorter. The adult size fits those over 4’6”.
- Eye Protection: For NYAA play, eye protection is recommended, but not required. Please visit Sticks 'n Flicks for eye protection for field hockey. If you want your daughter to wear eye protection, you must provide it for her.
- Uniform: Each player will receive a t-shirt that will serve as their game jersey. Each team member will have the same color shirt. Be sure to inform me of your daughter’s size when you register her on the website. This way the shirts will be ready for the first night of practice.
You are under no obligation to purchase anything from Sticks 'n Flicks, however it is an outstanding store for all of your field hockey needs. Your child will receive proper attention when it comes to outfitting her properly.
*Junior Division - This division will be run a little differently than the older two divisions. The focus will be more on drills, stick skills, and physical fitness, rather than organized games or scrimmages.
There must be at least one parent coach per 10 players in this division or it will not be offered. Coaching instructions will be given to volunteers if they do not have field hockey experience. NYAA coaches must have security clearance (details will be given to coaches). Please contact Sheri Hernandez if you are willing to help in this role. If no parents volunteer to help with this division, it will not be offered in the fall.
Field Hockey Game Location
We will be playing on the Middle School field and surrounding area.
Sticks 'n Flicks
109 E. Main St.
Closed Mondays, Tuesday through Wednesdsay 2 PM to 7PM, Thursday and Friday 12PM to 7PM
Saturdays 10AM to 4PM, and Sundays noon to 4PM
The NYAA Lightning Policy Chain of Command / Responsibility for Removing Athletes can be viewed here.